Monday, April 28, 2008

ItaliaRican at Disco Crisco Twister!

I was at Disco Crisco Twister again last Sunday at Arlene’s Grocery handing out free samples of my kottonmouth kookies and pineapple inside-out spot cupcakes. The place was packed with people flooding through the doors for Disco Crisco Twister, a monthly event at Arlene’s where adults can unwind and play games like musical chairs (with a live band), sing that tune (with a DJ), pop culture trivia and Disco Crisco Twister, a more slippery version of the classic game. Disco Crisco Twister even has its own theme song which was performed by PuppetBox. No , I didn't get to sing the theme song on stage, but I still had a great time.

I chose the pineapple inside-out spot cupcake because this month's Disco Crisco Twister had a Hawaiian theme because they were holding a raffle with the prize being roundtrip airfare for two to Hawaii with seven nights hotel accommodation. Everyone was wearing plastic lays and
enjoying the sweet pineapple taste and coconut shavings of my cupcakes. I had also planned to bake the kottonmouth kookies in honor of 4-20 before I knew about the Hawaii trip, so I decided to serve those too.

I've been coming to Disco Crisco Twister for about four months now, serving edible freebies to promote my catering services and blog, and am now officially "the resident Disco Crisco Twister chef". Everyone asked me what was in my kottonmouth kookies. "It's not what you think!" I replied. So many people asked me privately if there were any "special herbs" in the cookies. Give me a break, folks! If there were, I certainly wouldn't be giving them away!

Much thanks to Dana Sterling, the founder of Disco Crisco Twister for letting me serve my food and participate in all the fun and games too. Arlene’s grocery is located at 95 Station Street (between Ludlow & Allen), in the Lower East Side at the 2nd Avenue station on the F line. Below are some pics from last Sunday's event, as well as a pic of myself and this month's co-host, Rich.

No comments: