Saturday, January 26, 2008

ItaliaRican at Disco Crisco Twister!

In an effort to drum up publicity for this blog as well as my culinary career, I handed out free samples of my spinach pete last Sunday at Arlene’s Grocery the hottest bar in the Lower East Side. The place was packed with people flooding through the doors for Disco Crisco Twister, a monthly event at Arlene’s where adults can act like kids and play various games like musical chairs (with a live band), sing that tune (with a DJ), pop culture trivia and Disco Crisco Twister, a more slippery version of the classic game. Disco Crisco Twister even has its own theme song which was performed by Kindergarten, one of the two live bands who usually play for the event. The co-host Steph pulled me up on stage and we sang the theme song together!

This month’s theme for Disco Crisco was 2001: A Space Odyssey, which explains why my pete was awkwardly labeled “space cakes”, a confusing choice for a nickname considering that space cakes are the code name for marijuana-laced brownies. Thanks to the name a few idiots got the idea that the spinach in my pete was another (illegal) green plant, but I quickly corrected them. The bands played songs in between games, and everyone from the band to the bartenders loved the pete! I served the original three cheese pete (four if you count the grated parmesan sprinkled on top) as well as tofu version, both of which were eagerly gobbled up!

Much thanks to Dana Sterling, the founder of Disco Crisco Twister for letting me serve my food and participate in all the fun and games too. Arlene’s grocery is located at 95 Station Street (between Ludlow & Allen), in the Lower East Side at the 2nd Avenue station on the F line. The next Disco Crisco Twister will be held at Arlene’s Grocery on February 17 at 7 pm and the theme will be Valentine’s Day, so I will be handing out my famous besos, romantically-shaped chocolate chip cookies with naked Hershey’s kisses planted on top. Admission is $10, so come on down and meet me personally and better yet, sample my delicious besos. The cookies I mean!

No comments: